Monday, December 6, 2010

What Is Digital Arts About?

"Digital art is a general term for a range of artistic works and practices that use digital technology as an essential part of the creative and/or presentation process. Since the 1970s, various names have been used to describe the process including computer art and multimedia art, and digital art is itself placed under the larger umbrella term new media art." - Wikipedia


Then what is digital artist? Simple, the artist who produces digital arts. The line between traditional art and digital arts are blending at this era. It's less common to find pure traditional art like paintings in the world now. More and more arts are either created, edited, enhanced or recorded digitally. After all, we are in the digital age right? Let me try to make a list of the types of digital arts that I can think of right now:


- 3D Character
- Logo Design
- Illustration and Paintings done digitally (Namely on a computer with the help of software like photoshop or illustrator etc.)
- Any digital photography
- Any 3D models (Automobiles, Environment, Spaceship, Dragon, Hotties :))
- Any Computer generated images or animations.
- Hell, a screenshot of your desktop can be defined as digital art. 


I am sure the list goes on and on. Each and every sub form is absolutely interesting and exciting to explore.


For me, the most intriguing one is to design a fully detailed 3D character model. (with texture, lightning and rendering etc.) The process of designing one is just too much fun for me. 



I will talk about it more in my future posts. 



1 comment:

  1. I use an old program-- Paint Shop Pro v.8 and fell in love with it 4 years ago. I prefer it because of the picture tube feature that you can use to create images from 'scratch'.
    I dabble in photo editing and photo enhancing also.
    Looks like this is going to be great site! :)
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete